[How To] Jailbreak And Hactivate iPhone 3G/3GS With Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 And SAM
iPhone developer and hacker Sam Bingner has released Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) method which will allow you to officially activate your iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G by hacktivating, or without the use of the original SIM card.
Developer @sbingner (author of TetherMe) has made some excellent progress devising a new hactivation method that kills two birds with one stone for all you ultrasn0w unlockers. His tool, “Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM)” tricks your iPhone and iTunes into creating legitimate activation tickets even though you’re unlocked with ultrasn0w. This means you get the full benefit of push applications, and your battery life increases substantially. If you’d like to try it out, check out http://www.bingner.com/SAM.html
To help make it easier to try out @sbingner’s tool, we’ve updated redsn0w to include a new “Deactivate” option for the 3G and 3GS. Use this option *after* you’ve installed SAM…it will remove the normal patches made to lockdownd and let SAM take over. (sbingner plans on making a button to do this within SAMPrefs too). Great work, @sbingner!
The benefit of Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) as opposed to hacktivation is that it will result in much better battery life, fully working push notifications and so on just like how it is on the officially activated iPhones. Follow the instructions posted below to officially activate your iPhone using this new method.
How To Jailbreak And Hactivate iPhone 3G/3GS With Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 And SAM:
Download the latest Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 for Windows or Mac via the links given at the end of this post.
Follow the guide posted here to jailbreak your iPhone running iOS 4.2.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.6b6.
Once you have jailbroken your iPhone, start Cydia and add http://repo.bingner.com repository.
Now install “SAM” and “SAMPrefs” as shown in the screenshots below.
Now start the latest Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 again and select “Deactivate” option as shown in the screenshot below. This will allow your iPhone to revert back to a stock lockdownd in order for SAM to function.
Now navigate to Settings > SAM and click “De-Activate iPhone”
Start iTunes. Make sure your iPhone is connected. Allow iTunes to activate your iPhone officially.
Note: If iTunes says invalid SIM, you will need to manually select the appropriate carrier under one of the methods besides “Automatic” and click on a SIMID.
Once done, you will receive a message that your “iPhone is activated”.
Troubleshooting/Hacktivated with redsn0w or PwnageTool:
You will need to revert to a stock lockdownd for SAM to function
- With SAM and SAMPrefs installed; install openssh and secure shell into your phone. Run “stockify” and it will revert your lockdownd to a stock lockdownd.
- Reboot your phone.
Download RedSn0w 0.9.6b6
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 for Mac [Mirror 1] [Mirror 2]
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 for Windows [Mirror 1] [Mirror 2]
- [How To] Activate And Unlock The iPhone Without Original SIM Card
- [How To] Activate iPhone Without the Original SIM Card (iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G)
- [How To] Update iPhone 3G / 3GS Baseband to 06.15.00 With PwnageTool 4.1.3
- [How To] Update iPhone 3G / 3GS Baseband to 06.15.00 With Redsn0w 0.9.6b5
- [How To] Unlock iPhone 3G / 3GS On iOS 4.2.1 With UltraSn0w 1.2
- [How To] Install Cracked Apps On iOS 4.2
- iPhone Dev Team Releases “Unofficial” PwnageTool Bundle For iPhone 3GS
- TinyUmbrella Updated To 4.21.01; Offers Support For iOS 4.2.1